These sweet and spicy prawn skewers are marinated, sautéed, and simmered to perfection in a homemade honey and sriracha sauce! A great starter or side-dish to your meal!
I'm addicted to anything with a sweet and spicy sauce! And it's even better when I'm able to mix up an easy sauce recipe at home without any and "unknown" ingredients. These sweet and spicy prawn skewers are made by marinating prawns in an easy but delicious homemade sauce. These can also be made ahead, and they make the perfect appetizer for your guests!
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers (Step by Step)
Making these sweet and spicy prawn skewers is super easy! You just need to mix the marinade ingredients in a blender, then marinate your prawn for at least an hour, and finally sauté and simmer marinated prawns!
Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers
You will need the following ingredients:
- Prawns: Whichever type you prefer and is available, just make sure they are peeled and deveined, with tails on.
- Garlic: Finely diced
- Lemongrass: Bottom white part only
- Fish Sauce
- Sriracha: Spicy part of the marinade
- Lime Juice
- Honey: Sweet part of the marinade
You will also need a bit of vegetable oil for frying. I prefer using sunflower oil.
Making Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers
To make these sweet and spicy prawn skewers, start by mixing all your ingredients (except for the prawns!) and place them in a small kitchen blender or processor. Pulse until you achieve a smooth liquid mixture.
At this point, you may taste the marinade and add more sriracha or honey to your liking. This recipe yields a slightly spicy result, but not one which is too hot, so you may need to add more sriracha if you prefer a super spicy marinade!
Transfer the marinade to a bowl and add your prawns. Use a spatula to coat all the prawn with the marinade, then cover and allow to chill in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
Heat a large skillet with a bit of vegetable oil until it starts sizzling. Carefully, using kitchen tongs, add the marinated prawns, and sauté on medium-high heat for 30 seconds or so on each side, until slightly browned and cooked through. Larger prawns will need longer cooking time. Do not throw away the remaining marinade!
Transfer cooked prawn onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb any oil. Once you have cooked all the prawns, pour the remaining marinade into the skillet, lower the heat to medium-low, and transfer the cooked prawns into the skillet with the marinade. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the sauce and remove from heat.
Transfer to a plate or bowl, allow to cool slightly, and thread the cooked prawn onto the skewers. Top with chopped parsley as desired.
Making Ahead and Storing
These Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers can be made ahead and chilled for up to 2 days. The marinade can also be made ahead, and you can allow the prawn to marinate overnight.
Have you tried these Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow Baked Fig on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Also, check out these other great Asian-inspired recipes.
Sweet and Spicy Prawn Skewers
- 250 g prawns peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 stalk lemongrass sliced (lower white part only)
- 1 tsp sriracha (+ more to taste as desired)
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (e.g., sunflower oil)
- Peel and devein the prawns, leaving tails on.
- Place garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce, honey, sriracha and lime juice in a small kitchen blender or food processor and mix until combined and smooth. Add more sriracha or honey, if you would like a spicier or sweeter marinade.
- Place marinade into a bowl, add prawns and using a spatula, mix well to coat prawns evenly with marinade. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet until sizzling, then, on a medium-high heat, carefully add the marinated prawns one by one using kitchen tongs (without the marinade). Reserve remaining marinade.
- Sauté prawns on medium high heat for around 30 seconds on each side until slightly browned and cooked through (larger prawns may need more cooking time). Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb extra oil.
- Once all prawns are cooked, pour remaining marinade into the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low, and transfer the cooked prawns back to the skilled with the marinade. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Allow to cool, then thread into skewers. Top with chopped parsley as desired.