These delicious passion fruit, coconut & oat muffins are full of summer flavors and are a healthy option for breakfast or as a quick snack!
So this week I had some extra passion fruit in my fridge, and I thought, why not make some oat muffins with these for a different breakfast treat?
And what matches better with passion fruit than some coconut flakes? These two ingredients give a real summer flavor. And then I thought, why not use some coconut oil this time, instead of the usual full-fat butter? It still tastes amazing, and it elevates the coconut flavor even more!
What's healthy about these?
So I think these would make some fairly healthy treats for a few reasons: they contain oats (not just flour) which are full of fibre, some honey (and so, reduced sugar), fruit, coconuts, and coconut oil instead of butter! Not bad, eh?
Now I'm going to be completely honest with you, I have rarely used passion fruit in my baking; I can count the number of times I actually bought this fruit on one hand! So yes, this was a complete experiment. But the taste of these turned out so great, it felt so summery, and I just had to share the recipe with you! I took these to work with me for breakfast during the week and they kept me going (and happy!) until lunch-time.
These muffins are really simple to make.. the batter is actually a bit more thick and 'heavy' than the usual muffin batter with flour and sugar [see Moist Cinnamon & Blueberry Muffins]. Also, they don't rise as much as usual (you may always add some baking powder if you would like that, I'm just warning you :)). But overall, I'm really glad these turned out to be successful and would love to hear what you have to say, so please go ahead and leave a comment below!
If you've tried these amazing Baked Chocolate Frosted Cake Donuts, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! If you love oat muffins, you should check out these Plum & Cinnamon Oat Muffins too!
Passion Fruit, Coconut & Oat Muffins
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 2 eggs light beaten
- passion fruit pulp from 4 passion fruits
- 120 g plain flour sifted (1 cup)
- 90 g rolled oats 1 cup
- 40 g desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (fan assisted)/ 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas Mark 6. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Ignore this step if using silicone muffin moulds.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together coconut oil, sugar and honey. Add lightly beaten eggs and passion fruit pulp and mix thoroughly until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Add sifted flour, coconut, baking soda, salt and rolled oats and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture equally into muffins moulds/ baking tins until around ¾ full. If desired, sprinkle with brown sugar/ more oats.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 13 - 17 minutes until slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on countertop for 15 minutes, and enjoy!