These honey and pecan oatmeal cookies are soft, chewy, and packed with healthy oats, crunchy pecans, and natural sweetness. Grab a couple of these for breakfast or enjoy as a snack!
These healthy chewy delights made with honey, oats, and pecan nuts are delicious at any time of day. They are really easy to do and can be made ahead so you don't have to stress right before a tea party!
How to Make Honey and Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies are made using just 10 ingredients, require 1-2 hours of chill time, and around 10 minutes of oven.
For these honey and pecan oatmeal cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Rolled oats
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- Pecan nuts (coarsely crushed)
- Baking soda
Start by mixing softened butter with brown sugar until the mixture becomes creamy. I like to use an electric mixer with the paddle attachment for this step. Then, add the egg and mix well until combined. Use a spatula to scrape any ingredients from the side of the bowl.
Add the vanilla extract and honey and mix for a further minute on medium speed. Then, slowly add sifted flour, salt, baking powder and oats and mix using a spatula until just combined. Finally, fold in coarsely crushed pecan nuts and mix until combined.
The cookie dough will be quite hard and sticky. Wrap it up in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours (see tips below if skipping the chilling part).
Once chilled, preheat the oven to175°C (350F) and line a flat baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice-cream/cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough, roll into a ball, and flatten slightly at the top. Place on the lined baking sheet, leaving 1 inch space between each cookie dough piece.
Bake in a preheated oven for 9-12 minutes (10 minutes is just right for me) until the cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish off cooling.
Tips for Perfect Oatmeal Cookies
- When adding flour, salt, baking powder, oats, and pecan nuts, use a spatula to mix until the mixture is just combined. Using an electric mixer for the step might result in over-mixing.
- When rolling up cookie dough, flatten it slightly from the top before placing it on the baking sheet. This will help the cookies to spread nicely. You may also skip the chilling part, but if doing so, avoid flattening the cookie dough before baking 🙂
- Make sure the butter is softened, but is not too soft or melted as this will result in flattening and over-spreading whilst baking
- One great thing about these cookies is the natural sweetness from honey, meaning you won't need to use too much sugar. Feel free to adjust brown sugar measurements to your liking!
- Pecan nuts should be coarsely crushed by placing them in a freezer bag and rolling over a couple of times with a rolling pin or by placing them in a small blender and pulsing for a few times. Do not over-blend to ground pecans, as you need to have bits of crunchy nut in your cookies 🙂
- This recipe yields around 20 medium-sized cookies.
Storing & Making Ahead
This cookies can be made up to 3 days ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Make sure the cookies have completely cooled before storing. The cookie dough can be made ahead and left to chill overnight. Bring it out of the fridge at least 30-40 minutes before baking 🙂
If you've tried these delicious Honey & Pecan Oatmeal Cookies, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Also, check out these yummy eggless muffins to complete your afternoon tea: Eggless Double Chocolate Greek Yogurt Muffins.
Honey and Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
- 120 g all-purpose flour 1 cup
- 140 g rolled oats approx. 1½ cup
- 110 g butter softened (approx. ½ cup)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 75 g brown sugar approx. ⅓ cup + 1 tbsp.
- 50 g pecan nuts coarsely crushed (about ⅖ cup + 1 tbsp.)
- Place softened butter and brown sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fixed with the paddle attachment and mix on medium-high speed until creamy (1-2 minutes).
- Add egg and mix well to combine. Use a spatula to scrape down mixture from the sides of the bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and honey and mix for 1 minute.
- Add sifted flour, salt, baking powder, and rolled oats and mix until just combined, using a spatula. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in pecan nuts. Cookie dough will be hard and sticky.
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 hours (see notes).
- Preheat the oven at 175°C (350F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take one scoop of cookie dough (using a cookie/ice-cream scoop), flatten it slightly with your hands (see notes) and place on lined baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining cookie dough, leaving 1-inch space between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling.