This Healthy Beef and Broccoli stir fry with a delicious Mongolian style sauce is a family classic! A super quick dinner, made in less than 30 minutes!
Beef and Broccoli stir fry is one of our go-to dinners when we are looking for something quick, meaty, and healthy at the same time! Stir fry beef, coated in a delicious Mongolian beef-style sauce and steamed broccoli, served on a bed of steamed rice - just the right combination!
What is Mongolian Beef?
Despite the name, this dish originates in Taiwan and is popular among Chinese restaurants. It typically contains sliced beef (usually flank steak), scallions, and other vegetables. Mongolian beef is normally served over steamed rice.
How to Make Healthy Beef and Broccoli (Step by Step)
For this recipe, we will first stir fry the beef, and then make the sauce.
Ingredients for Healthy Beef and Broccoli
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Sliced beef: flank steak is ideal for this recipe
- Cornstarch: to coat the beef before stir frying
- Vegetable oil: to stir fry the beef
For the Mongolian-style sauce, you will need the following:
- Broccoli: these will be steamed and added at the end
- Cashew nuts: for a crunchy dish!
- Soy sauce: base of the sauce
- Brown sugar: for a bit of sweetness
- Chilli oil: this is optional and will provide a bit of spiciness. You could also use dry chilli flakes or sriracha sauce
- Purple onion: diced
- Sesame oil: to fry the vegetables
- Fresh ginger: minced
- Garlic cloves: finely diced
- Water: liquid part of the sauce
- Sesame seeds: these are optional and used for topping
Making Healthy Beef and Broccoli
This recipe is super easy and takes less than 30 minutes to do! First, mix the sliced beef with cornstarch in a large bowl.
Then, heat some vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil) in a large skillet on high heat until sizzling, and carefully place the coated beef slices. Sauté on medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Cut the broccoli into florets and steam for 10-12 minutes in a steamer. In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Heat some sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet and add the diced garlic and onion, and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly using a wooden spoon to avoid burning the garlic. Then, add chilli oil (optional), soy sauce, brown sugar, and cashews and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the water, and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, until reduced.
Finally, add the cooked beef and steamed broccoli and mix to coat with the sauce. Simmer for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Serve with steamed rice and top with sesame seeds (as desired).
Making Ahead and Storing
This recipe can be made ahead and chilled for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave or on the hob before serving. You can also prepare the beef and sauce ahead and steam the broccoli on the day before serving.
Have you tried this Healthy Beef and Broccoli? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to rate the recipe! Also, don't forget to follow Baked Fig on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes! Also, check out these other great Asian-inspired recipes.
Healthy Beef and Broccoli
Beef Stir Fry
- 400 g beef (flank steak) sliced
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil (sunflower oil)
Sauce and Vegetables
- ½ head broccoli cut into florets and steamed
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 purple onion diced
- ½ tsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp chilli oil optional (or sriracha or chilli flakes)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 125 mL water (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
Beef Stir Fry
- Slice beef, place in large mixing bowl, and mix with cornstarch to coat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet on high heat, until sizzling. Add beef, lower heat to medium high, and sauté for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Sauce and Vegetables
- Cut broccoli into florets and steam for 10-12 minutes in a steamer. In the meantime, heat sesame oil in a large non stick skillet, and add garlic, onion, and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (avoid burning garlic).
- Add chilli oil (optional), soy sauce, brown sugar, and cashew nuts and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add water and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, until reduced.
- Add cooked beef and steamed broccoli and coat with sauce. Simmer for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Serve with rice and top with sesame seeds as desired.