If you’re looking for the best classic sugar cookies with a crispy outside, soft inside and perfect for cutting-out and icing, then this recipe is for you!
Today I will be sharing what I consider to be the best classic sugar cookie recipe. These cookies are great for icing because they have the perfect crispy exterior and are soft on the inside. This recipe is also great if you want to cut-out cookies in your favourite shape :). I also have a delicious lemon icing recipe coming up soon which goes perfect with these cookies. These cookies are not just good for frosting however; they are extremely delicious on their own. I usually prepare the cookies ahead and then pipe them with royal icing the next day, and I can assure you that at least a quarter of them would be gone already by then!
This recipe yields approximately 24 cookies, but this obviously depends on your choice of cookie cutter and thickness of the cookie itself. I rolled out the dough approximately ¼” thick. I find that this thickness is perfect both for icing as well as for the plain version.
Ingredients for Best Classic Sugar Cookies
For the Best Classic Sugar Cookies, you will need 8 ingredients:
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
Some Sugar Cookie Tips
- This recipe is ideal for cut-out cookies and go well both with and without icing. The cookie itself is sturdy once cooled completely and does not spread out too much during baking.
- The trick for achieving the best classic sugar cookies which hold their shape is by chilling the cookie dough for at least 1 hour. I usually prepare cookie dough a day ahead and chill overnight, then, leave it to thaw for some time before rolling out as otherwise it would be too hard.
- Chilling cookie dough solidifies fat from the butter and for this reason the cookies do not spread out too much, so please do not skip the chilling step. If you’re in a hurry and do not wish to waste time chilling the cookie dough, you might want to try my Chewy Pecan Nut Brown Sugar Butter Cookies instead 😉
If you’ve tried these Classic Sugar Cookies, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and don’t forget to rate the recipe! Check out this lemon and poppy seed frosting recipe which goes perfectly with these cookies! Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram to stay updated with any new recipes!Print
If you’re looking for classic sugar cookies which are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and perfect for cutting-out and icing, then this is the right recipe for you!
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, place butter and sugar and mix on high speed until light and fluffy (around 1-2 mins). Add vanilla extract and egg and mix until combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over-mix. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft but not too sticky.
- Seal cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 – 2 hours.
- Once ready to shape and bake cookies, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 175 °C (350 F).
- Roll out cookie dough on slightly floured surface approximately ¼” thick. Cut out cookie shapes using a cookie cutter of your choice.
- Place cookie dough on baking sheet with parchment paper at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until edges are slightly golden brown but the tops should remain pale.
- Place on cooling rack and cool completely before icing.
- Category: dessert
Keywords: cookies, baking, sweet, icing